Representing the exciting and dynamic art industry in the Servants of Serpents panel, Ali Khadra, the Founder of Sorbet and Canvas Publications, takes a few minutes to answer quirky questions extracted from the famous Proust questionnaire.
- What is your greatest extravagance?
Travel. I don’t skimp on my trips and accommodation. You’d be surprised how basic I am when it comes to dressing up. A lot of my clothes are either from outlet shops or casual brands.
But I like my comfortable airline seat, my private car and driver, my room with a view and especially my private guide (I don’t do groups excursions!)
Food is another area I’m not afraid to spend money on. I’m very particular about the freshness and provenance of my fruits and veggies. I eat at the nicest restaurants and I splurge generously when I entertain. Oh! And I tip very well (I used to be a waiter and understand the hard work behind it).
I almost forgot: BOOKS and ARTWORKS! I’m known to spend until I’m broke on books and contemporary art.
- What word/phrase would you like to incorporate more into your vocabulary?
Slow down / Chill / Chillax
- What is your most marked characteristic?
My moto in life; a French proverb: “On n’est jamais mieux servi que par soi-meme”
English translation: If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.
- Describe Dubai Watch Week in one word
- What is the one misconception about the watch/luxury industry you'd like to clarify?
It’s too overrated.
- If you weren't a brand CEO/collector/journalist, what industry would you be in?
National Geographic Film Maker